Chem 1121 - Robertson

Moderator: Ron Robertson

Chem 1121 - Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Welcome to the Gen Chem II lab. This is where I will post updates for the class and reply to general questions.

Students who post to the Board by next Thursday will receive 2 pts extra credit. Tell us a little about yourself!

To keep the Board simple just post replies to this topic; please don't start a new topic.
Ron Robertson

Re: Chem 1121 - Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 am

An old post of 0.5 inches of snow at Robertson farm. . . Image
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Based on my previous years of teaching, many of you will need to improve this semester on some life skills that will affect your success in whatever career path you may eventually take - time management, work organization and presentation, and general attention to detail. Many of you also need to think differently about the way you study and focus more on true understanding of the material so that you can be more successful in answering questions from different teachers over the same material. This is a good test for true understanding. Good luck in the coming weeks and come on by C303!
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:50 am

Important info

I have been asked to disseminate the following information which may make your job of making the correct purchase for Chem 1120 and lab materials easier. Most importantly you do need Labskills for our 1121 lab.

1. John Semeraro, our Cengage rep, will be on campus on Thursday, Jan 29th from 9:30-4:00. We will set him up in the conference room or the chemistry library and any student who needs help registering or getting their courses set up in OWL can meet with them at their convenience. (I will confirm the meeting location later.) Stress to the students that even if they do not have the money to purchase OWL at this point, they can go and meet with him to get their course set up. There is a 14 day grace period and this meeting is within that window. Then we they get the money for the course, if they met with him and set up everything correctly, all they will have to do is type in their course code after the fact. This should mean that we take NO excuses for why students can not figure their OWL account out. If they do not go see him, it is their loss.

2. Let students know about the purchasing options. Right now, students are able to purchase one of four options (1. etext with OWL, 2. etext with OWL and LabSkills 3. printed version of the textbook as a looseleaf with OWL and LabSkills 4. LabSkills only). There is no looseleaf without LabSkills this semester. The problem comes when they get to the bookstore and see all the options listed as required. They then buy EVERYTHING! The bookstore hasn't been telling them they get to choose one option and the student has no way of knowing this unless we tell them. They then are trying to return stuff, both opened and unopened. Please communicate with your students what their options are and let them come talk with you if they are unsure which option is best for them. If students like the etexts, then these are most likely the choice they will make:
1110: Choose ISBN 1285185447: OWL with etext
1111: Let them know they do not need a separate textbook for lab.
1120: Choose ISBN 1305590899: OWL with etext and LabSkills (Most will already have access from last semester)
1121: The above option for lecture ( ISBN 1305590899 ) includes LabSkills, if they are only taking the lab they need LabSkills by itself (ISBN 1285431693)
Ron Robertson

Postby Candice Pop » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Hey Dr. Robertson,
I am looking forward to Chem lab this semester! I was wondering if you knew the labskills code to register this class in owl.
Thanks,
Candice Pop
Candice Pop

Postby Lauren Ritter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 pm

My name is Lauren Ritter. I am a Sophomore Agriculture major with a Biology and Chemistry minor and a concentration in Pre-Veterinary Medicine. I am a member of pre-vet club and Alpha Delta Pi. I have a puppy named Zoey who looks like a stuffed animal when she sits still.
Lauren Ritter

Postby Cynthia Cacciola » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Hello, I am Cynthia Cacciola. I am a Junior Agriculture major with concentration in Pre-Veterinary Medicine. I have three animals: two cats (Brownie and Chocolate) and one dog (Marley), besides those three babies, my family and future career are my life. I hope my first chemistry lab turns out to be a pleasant experience.
Cynthia Cacciola

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Candice,

From the syllabus,

When purchasing textbooks for your lecture course, you should have been given an access code for Lab Skills as part of the OWL system. You will need to find my course by entering in the following section key: EHY7W3YWD37LSG. You can also join my course by going to the following url:
http://login.cengagebrain.com/course/E-HY7W3YWD37LSG The section is entitled: “Spring 2015 Chemistry II Lab Skills”. According to the schedule at the end of this syllabus, you will need to complete one or more modules prior to each lab period.
Ron Robertson

Jordanelise Harris

Postby Jordanelise Harris » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 am

Hey, my name is Jordanelise Harris but you can call me Jordan. I am a chemistry/pre-pharmacy major and I am currently a sophomore.
Jordanelise Harris

Postby Chancis Jones » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi, My name is Chancis Jones. My major is biology pre-med. I am currently a sophomore. I own one cat named nino, pronounced knee-No, not the Spanish pronunciation.
Chancis Jones

Next

Return to Department of Chemistry Discussion Board