Chem 4000 Seminar

Moderator: Ron Robertson

Re: Chem 4000 Seminar

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 am

Important

Dr. Baysinger is coming on Friday instead of today. This was my scheduling error and not his. As a result we will be taking the ACS Organic Exam today but it will not count as a 50 pt evaluation. It will be counted as extra credit based on your percentile ranking. Since all our other days are taken in class time and you need to see some organic questions for the Exit Exam, this is the only thing I know to do.

My apologies.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:51 am

I have your ACS brief organic exams graded and extra credit assigned. I also have your seminar summaries marked.

We have our last seminar speaker on Monday - a chem department researcher from Memphis University.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:59 pm

It is very interesting that each of the speakers I contacted (Wesley Allen, Carolyn Bilbry, Joey Scott, and Curtis Baysinger) wanted to share life lessons with you in varying degrees of connection with the science of their jobs. Dr. Baysinger was the most passionate in breaking down what he had learned in a sociological way but Joey, Carolyn, and Wesley would have all done something similar. They each talked with me about ideas that were not adequately transmitted in college. These things complement the knowledge base that you should have attained in the years with us at the Peay. To be successful takes expertise in both areas.

I was very pleased this semester to have the opportunity to expose you to some fine people as well as physicians, scientists, and engineers. I think they have given you some good advice. I wish you could have heard Wesley.

Monday's talk completes our seminars. Some of you may be interested in chem graduate school and we have had some students be successful at Memphis. This speaker was recruited and suggested by Dr. Shelton.

Dr. Baysinger's Powerpoint can be found at our class web site to assist you in putting together your summary and comments. (http://apbrwww5.apsu.edu/robertsonr/che ... 610-20.htm)
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Our OTC presentations are scheduled for 4/21, 4/25, and 4/28

I have only heard from one group with a request so I have assigned the rest of the groups at random. Please see the instructions on our class webpage. http://apbrwww5.apsu.edu/robertsonr/che ... 610-20.htm Have copies as specified for each member of our class (15 + one for me).

April 21
Lesleigh and Brittany
Bryan and Tiffani

April 25
Scott and Nicolas
Carson and Thomas
Patrick and Payden

April 28
Meagan and Billy
Austin
Kayla and Tala
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Good info in today's presentations, but we have to keep them to 15 minutes. Organize your presentations around the symptoms and drugs that attack those symptoms. Then give a short summary of how those drugs work followed by a list of products that contain those drugs. Make sure the cost analysis is in the handout as well as the info about packaging of product, but I really want to see your recommendation as to the best (and most cost effective) approach to tackling the problem.

Another extra credit opportunity - I can't resist offering some extra credit for reading up on Palcohol. What is it and how is it made? This made the national news today. 5 pts for the first good explanation.
Ron Robertson

Postby SCOTTYxDONT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Palcohol is a subsititute for liquid alcohol allowing for easier transportation when traveling. It is a form of alcohol that has been crystallized and turned into a powder. It usually contains 10%-12% alcohol content. The powder is designed to be mixed with water so that it can be consumed orally. This is in contrast to the misconception that it was designed to be snorted. It was invented by Mark Phillips. It was recently approved by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade bureau. It is owned by a company called Lipsmark and is slated to be available for purchase this fall. This is what they report but the media is reporting that this is, in fact, misinformation. It is synthesized via a method of combining ethanol with a carbohydrate powder.
SCOTTYxDONT

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 am

Right you are Scotty for 5 pts! Does anyone want to go into a little more of the chemistry detail about how the alcohol gets into a carb and what carbs are used for a couple more points?
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Donna in the department office needs to know if any of you are graduating this semester with ACS degrees.

She also needs to know if you are planning on taking the exit exam next Thursday. Register with her.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am

Remember to submit your OTC PP presentation to me.

I'm working on Carson and Thomas at the moment and don't see the PP in my email.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Good luck on the Exit Exam tomorrow!!!!
Ron Robertson

PreviousNext

Return to Department of Chemistry Discussion Board