Chem 1710

Moderator: Ron Robertson

Re: Chem 1710

Postby Ron Robertson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Darryl and best wishes to all my campers out there!

My favorite snowflake site is - http://snowcrystals.com.

Enjoy the snow but be ready to get up to speed very quickly when we get back.
Ron Robertson

HASH BROWN CASSEROLE

Postby Katie Robards » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:35 pm

I love hash brown casserole from Cracker Barrel! I found the recipe and it is super easy!

1 (2) pound bag of frozen hash browns
1/2 cup of melted butter
1 can of condensed cream of chicken
1 container of sour cream
1/2 cup of chopped onions
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (will need more throughout)

preheat oven to 350 degrees F
combine all ingredients in a bowl to make a mixture.
pour into a 3 quart casserole dish
back covered for 40 minutes in oven and ENJOY!
Katie Robards

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am

Help on Logger Pro

I don't have any classes today so I will not be on campus. If you need to contact me just post, email, or call my home phone that is on our syllabus.

At the end of class Darryl and Michael were having difficulty getting "left" and "right" to show up on their bar graph using Logger Pro. The program I gave you is the new version and the default on the new version is to "autoscale larger". This is the problem. You just need to reset the scaling. The instructions below should give you a very nice bar graph.

First click on the "X" on the data set (upper left corner) and enter "hand" as the name. Do not enter any units. Then click on "Y" and enter "reaction time" with units of "s". Don't worry that it does not show "reaction time" in the "Y" box. It is too long for the box. The entire name will be shown on the graph. If you want to shorten the name to "rxn time" then you will see the name in the "Y" box and on the graph.

In the "hand" column of data enter left and right and then the associated times in the "Y" column. Next double click on the graph itself, select bar graph, then click on "axes options", and then select "autoscale" instead of the default "autoscale larger" for the x and y axes. You will easily make a bar graph that fills the screen and shows your "left" and "right" under the bars on the x axis with "hand" underneath that.

Selecting "autoscale" instead of "autoscale larger" also should be done on the 5 x-y plots that are the other part of tomorrow's assignment. You can also select "manual" scaling and set your minimum and maximum values if you wish.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:52 am

Rose Mary,

There are lots of consumer projects that are popular with students. These would include analyzing foods in a simple way to see how much fat or water they contain or how long beans need to soak - all the way to how quickly toilet paper degrades or how strong paper towels are. You want to find a project that involves taking quantitative data in a simple way that would allow you to draw a conclusion. Environmental projects could include analyzing water samples for a particular pollutant. Engineering projects have been popular with some in looking at new designs for rockets, cars, etc. Keep looking at sites like "Science Buddies" and science fair project sites in general.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Just finished Exam 2 and here are the freebies!

1. List the basic ideas of kinetic theory. Include a graph on the 4th major idea. Then explain why evaporation takes place.

2. List 3 unusual properties of water (not the applications).

3. You will be asked to explain the scientific basis of one or more of the following: (A) How different musical instruments can play the same note, yet sound different, (B) Why the interior of your car is so hot on a sunny day after being parked for several hours with the windows up, (C) Why cigarette smoke, oil smoke from a car exhaust, the sky, and the iris of the eyes of certain people is blue, (D) As the temperature above Lake Superior cools to below freezing in the winter, aquatic life is able to survive in the lake, (E) Why the parabolic shape is used in so many applications of light and sound reflection (F) How breathing takes place (using the concepts of pressure and volume) (G) The types, dangers, and protections against ultraviolet light on your skin.

4. The greenish blue of water is evidence for the (A) interaction between green and blue frequencies of light, (B) the reflection of red light, (C) the absorption of greenish-blue light, (D) the reflection of greenish-blue light, (E) the absorption of red light

. . . and there are 4 pts from the Bronco bungee jumping practice book page that was assigned, 4 pts from a falling object PE and KE problem, ray diagrams, heat and kinetic theory problems, definitions, and a matching exercise over the properties and applications of sound and light

This is a longer exam than Exam 1. We have covered a lot more material. What I have done is to make the extra questions bonus questions. There are 110 possible points on the test but it will only count as 100. (This means I will subtract your missed pts from 110 and not from 100) Your job is to look at the entire exam and complete as much of it as you can in the hour and 5 minutes that you will be given. Make sure you don't leave any of the multiple choice section blank. In fact you might want to do them first. I will look at the grade distribution and decide whether or not to curve the grades and by how much.

Enjoy!
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Good news. . . I should be able to hand back the exam. The student should be taking the make-up exam during the first part of our class period if not before or using that exam as a drop.

I will be posting midterm grades tonight. Your midterm grade will be based on daily/lab grades and exam grades. Come on by the office and I will be glad to discuss your grades. No grades will be dropped and no extra credit points will be added for the midterm grade. To calculate your grade find you average % grade so far on daily grades and lab. Then find your average test grade. Apply the following formula as indicated in the syllabus:
(.25 x daily/lab % + .35 x test %) divided by .60

Other reminders and advice:
1. Be sure and keep up with your returned papers and the grades. Come see me if you do not get something back.
2. On each homework and lab assignment, your work and answers should be individual. I have had to subtract points already on one lab assignment.
3. Your note card for the exam should not contain any units or text material besides describing a formula in words. Several of you have lost points due to material being on your card that was not allowed.
4. Some of you are accumulating a good bit of unexcused absences. You do get 8 according the syllabus before points are subtracted. I take attendance right after class begins. If you are late make sure you come by at break or after class and let me know so I can remove or at least reduce the hours of absence. See our syllabus for attendance and makeup work details.
5. You should be spending at least a couple of hours for each hour of class (so about 6-8 hours a week) in good intensive study (book, practice book, notes, homework, lab reports, etc). Get with another person or group and spend quality time asking each other definitions, how to explain ideas, how to work problems, etc. You can do this. Let me know if I can help.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:19 am

By popular demand

Tea Punch

7 regular tea bags(adjust if use family size tea bags)
1-2 cups sugar (depending on any sweetened juices you choose to add)
12oz can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
12oz can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
Enough water to finish out 1 gallon
large can of pineapple juice
(Optional juices: peach, pear, apricot)
Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish

Brew tea. Transfer to larger container. Add other ingredients. Mix well. Chill.

The only juices I add to the basic recipe is the large can of pineapple juice. By the time I add that and a little water to thin it, it will make 1.5 gallons.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:21 pm

Yep, Graphical Analysis is actually the name of the graphing module found in the larger Logger Pro data acquisition system.

More hints:

1. Be careful about the units on your graphs and calculations. In many of the tables the data is in quadrillion BTU (10^15) but there are a few tables that have the data in trillion BTU (10^12).
2. When summarizing the data don't just say that the energy use increased. You need to at least: a) give the starting # of BTU in Quads, b) give the ending # of Quads, c) give the general trend, d) describe any times when there was an obvious deviation from the trend.
2. People always ask about sf on the % calculations. How many should you take? Always go to the proper number based on the data unless asked otherwise. Since I did not give any other instructions this would mean about 7 or more sf for most of the calculations.
3. Feel free to word process the assignment. You will receive extra credit if you do. Be careful however. You cannot share information and your answers must be your own as indicated in our syllabus.

Happy Easter!
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:03 am

Help in using Excel

Some of you have indicated that you need to learn how to graph using Excel instead of Logger Pro. The following link from my web site shows how to use Excel to write and use formulas in worksheets as well as how to make graphs and even add trendlines (curve fitting).
http://apbrwww5.apsu.edu/robertsonr/che ... aphing.pdf
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Just got through with Exam 3! Hope all my campers stayed safe in the storms this afternoon. Since I did not have an afternoon class, I went home early just before the storms hit.

1. List 2 reasons why alternating current is superior to direct current for distribution to homes.

2. List 3 of the 4 major factors we discussed in class that contribute to our energy problem in the U.S.

3. A valuable rule of thumb concerning our energy usage in the U.S. is that we have about ________per cent of the world’s population and we use about _______per cent of the world’s energy.

4. All uranium eventually changes into _______ by natural radioactivity.

5. The force on an electron moving in a magnetic field will be the largest when its direction is
A. the same as the magnetic field direction
B. perpendicular to the magnetic field direction
C. exactly opposite to the magnetic field direction
D. at an angle other than 90 degrees to the magnetic field direction
E. none of these

. . . and a circuit diagram, ohm's law problems, transformer problems, electric power problems, the Bohr model of the atom, nuclear equations, and lots more. Enjoy!
Ron Robertson

PreviousNext

Return to Department of Chemistry Discussion Board