Chem 1710

Moderator: Ron Robertson

Re: Chem 1710

Postby Michael Erranton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm

[quote="Michael Erranton"]http://youtu.be/plTRdGF-ycs
I hope this is the right segement, but this mans passion got me ready for (suspended animation)....sign me up
Michael Erranton

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:31 pm

We had a question about the actual existence of black holes in class on Wednesday. This USA Today short article summarizes the latest discovery of a quite large black hole. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/scie ... topstories
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Exam 4

The last freebies! No freebies for the final :(

1. Explain fission and fusion.

2. List the ideas of Dalton’s atomic theory and indicate which ones are not exactly correct and why.

3. From the handout from class, what is the name for 2 constellations visible in the evening sky before midnight besides Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.

4. Sketch the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram labeling all important points. What does it show?

5. As the earth revolves around the sun what is the property of the earth that gives us our seasons?

. . . and lots of formulas, planet trivia, etc.

I did run out of room on the exam so there is no equation balancing on Exam 4. You will see it on the final exam.

There are 112 pts possible with no multiple choice.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Referencing styles for your paper, board, and presentation

The following website has illustrations of the 3 styles of citing your references. http://library.williams.edu/citing/styles/acs.php

You will need a Reference page at the end with each reference cited somewhere in the paper, board, or presentation.
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sun May 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Campers. . .

I have just submitted your grades and replied with details to all that requested (If I missed you, please resend the request). Mostly B's and C's with more C's than B's. Last fall we had mostly B's with a few C's. I really tried, but somehow I was not able to motivate many of you to study like the fall class did. I did give a larger curve on the final exam than last fall. Oddly, this trend occurred even though we covered less material than the fall class did since we missed the first 2 classes of the semester due to snow.

I always enjoy the research projects. They are the essence of science. The project is a semester long project that is introduced the first day of class. Some put the majority of work off until the end, and the work submitted is not of as high a caliber as it should be. Several of the oral presentations were also too short time wise and this reduced your grade, but actually the display board grades the last few semesters are the lowest of the 3 areas - oral presentation, research paper, and display board. Overall the project grades were A's, B's, and C's. Most of the project grades could have been easily increased by 6-10 pts if you had just run the data or writing by me beforehand. Time management and self-discipline are valuable life skills.

This is and has never been an easy course for most of the class. It is a physical science class that summarizes some important ideas from 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of astronomy, and about 1 semester of chemistry. It is fast and furious for sure. It is the course that was developed to help you be the best prepared elementary and middle school teachers to teach physical science units (but is also required of biology teaching majors because of several state standards for certification). It is truly a STEM class in the finest sense. But it is also a "lifeskills" class - to let you see how a knowledge of STEM topics can help you make better life choices.

I have enjoyed this 18 year run for the course - offered each semester and during summer II. I wrote it with the help of physics and education faculty and elementary and middle school teachers - folks who knew it would never be the choice of students if they were given a chance to take a single topic physical science course. I will retire in December 2016 and Education has now given you the option of a single topic course. I do not believe you will be as prepared to teach science content as you would have been taking this course though. I would love to teach this class 2 more times - summer II and the fall. Right now both courses are slightly under-enrolled. If you know of students who are willing to work very hard, learn a lot from an instructor who is as passionate about his course as he was 18 years ago, and who want to be the absolute best prepared teachers they can be - send them my way for summer or fall. ( remember that summer grades are always higher than fall or spring - maybe it's all the food I share. . . ) But I acknowledge that many students are like electrons - "they take the path of least resistance". It is our basic nature.

I will continue to monitor this board. I will be glad to discuss your grades and if I have made a grading error, the grade will be changed. Your pictures won't get on my web site until after I catch up on the few things at the farm. I would be glad for each of you to stop by the farm for a visit, and I especially hope that some of you can come by this fall for my annual fall fest! And I hope that we will always be "friends".
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm sure you are somewhat rested and ready to see how much astronomy you absorbed in our class. I found a neat little quiz at http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2013/0 ... htest-star that you should be able to get over 50% on from our class. Don't worry, I didn't make 100% on it when I took it either - we didn't cover all the answers to the questions, only about 2/3 (but not bad for only about 4 days of class).

And by the way, I have posted the class pictures I took. There is one misspelling that I will correct sometime but it's not a priority right now.

Best wishes . . . .
Ron Robertson

Postby Chelsie Goodwin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Hello!

I am ready for this class this semester and I am ready to give it my all!
Chelsie Goodwin

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:46 am

Ah. . .the first post. Let the floodgates open!
Ron Robertson

HELP! Need YOUR names!!

Postby Molly Shearon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Ok...I am that student in class that did not write down my partners names for our helicopter project. I am hoping one of them will log on before Friday and see my post! We were the group that did the different length of bunny ears (small, medium, control, and long).
Molly Shearon

Significant Figures

Postby Jennett Sharratt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:22 am

I can't believe with all the math and science classes I have taken throughout my life, I have never learned how to use significant numbers! It just totally boggles my mind.
Jennett Sharratt

PreviousNext

Return to Department of Chemistry Discussion Board