Chem 1710

Moderator: Ron Robertson

Chem 1710

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Welcome to Chem 1710! I welcome your comments and questions. We have many interesting days ahead. Don't get discouraged - please come to my office and let me help if you get frustrated. This course was designed to make you the best physical science teacher possible, whether in the elementary or middle grades (or even in high school biology for chemistry and physics background info).

This is a new Discussion Board for the course and I will be learning about it with you in the coming days. The Board allows me to communicate with you quickly and allows you to share info/questions with others in the class. It should be easier to use than D2L and it allows old students to come back and post their comments and questions as well as current students.

I will also post "freebie" questions here before each exam so you really do want to get familiar with it!
Ron Robertson

Re: Chem 1710

Postby labman3746 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 pm

For now to keep it simple we will just post replies to the topic of Chem 1710. You will have to register and after you have registered I will activate your account as moderator. Please use your first and last name as your username so that I can identify you easily. In order to experiment with the Board I have created another login for myself - labman3746. My gmail address is labman3746@gmail.com by the way. In a few days you will not see this username except when I am testing out the Board for problems.
labman3746

Postby Ron Robertson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Shatica,

Here is the Tex-Mex recipe. If you could post your "Butterfinger Cake" recipe, I would sure appreciate it.

7 Layer Tex-Mex Dip

1 can refried beans
2 small avocados, smashed (may substitute guacamole dip)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix, mixed with ¼ cup of sour cream and ¼ cup mayonnaise
1 small can chopped black olives
1 bunch of chopped green onions (reserve some of the tops for garnish)
grated cheese
chopped tomatoes

Layer the ingredients in the order listed. Garnish the top with green onions and sour cream if desired. Best if made the day before and chilled. Serve with tortilla chips.

I will post the sausage casserole recipe soon.

I also right now have an over abundance of farm fresh eggs. We have satisfied our regular customers. Would anyone in class like a dozen eggs on Monday for free?
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue May 01, 2012 6:44 am

Here is the Breakfast Casserole recipe

1 pkg crescent rolls
1 lb sausage, fried and crumbled
5 to 6 eggs, scrambled with milk, salt and pepper
2 cups of cheese, grated

Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan; lay crescent rolls on bottom and flatten and press perforated edges together. Sprinkle sausage and cheese on top; pour egg mixture over all. Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.
Ron Robertson

Postby sjohnson16 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 pm

The recipe for my "Butterfinger" cake

1 box of cake mix (yellow cake or butter golden is what I use)
ingredients needed to make the cake on the box
1 8-oz tub of cool whip
1 jar of caramel toppings (used on ice cream)
1 small can of sweetened condensed milk
2 regular size butterfinger candy bars

1. Make cake as directed on the box, once cake is ready remove from oven and while still hot, take some type of small cylinder shaped object (I use a bamboo skewer) or just the end of a spoon and make holes all throughout the cake.
2. Pour caramel toppings in all of the holes, then pour the sweetened condensed milk on top of the caramel in all the holes, also.
3. Allow cake to cool, then spread cool whip on top of the cake
4. Take a big metal spoon or something like that and hit the candy bars to break them in small pieces and then sprinkle the crushed candy bars all over the cake
5. Refrigerate cake until ready to be served!!! I hope everyone enjoys the cake and their summer!!!!
sjohnson16

Postby Ron Robertson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 am

A few things that summarize my teaching philosophy

I love to teach chemistry (and all physical science) but the best teaching advice I ever got was
“You teach students, not chemistry”.

Teaching is all about motivating students. I feel that:
An organized confident delivery + enthusiasm + sensitivity to students needs → MOTIVATION
You will not be able to reach everyone in your classes, but if you do the above you will reach a lot of them.

TEL your students about science.
· Be TOUGH – expect much from them and from yourself
· Be ENTHUSIASTIC – if you are not, no one will be
· Be LOVING and CARING – no one cares how much you know until they know how much you
care
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm

May we progress from the bottom step to the top by the end of the semester.

Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm

My Friday's work - 32 rolls with 5 more on Saturday
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:30 pm

An interesting application and elaboration of our basic study of color http://www.televisioninfo.com/features/ ... ign=collab
Ron Robertson

Postby Ron Robertson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Unusual maps to help you make sense of the world http://twistedsifter.com/2013/08/maps-t ... the-world/
Ron Robertson

Next

Return to Department of Chemistry Discussion Board